Sunday, June 21, 2009

last day

Well, finished up the week and dawn and I closed up our site yesterday. We took out our second body, and apparently part of a third, as we found when we reassembled the body and had three femurs. We think it is probably the mass amount of decayed bone where the tarp had let in the rain. Oh well. We spent all of yesterday digging deeper and deeper. What we thought was another body under a huge rock ended up just being our lady´s feet. We dug and dug and dug, and finally concluded that there was nothing else in there, at least not in the near vicinity. Next door though, in the room where I uncovered the plaster floor, they had dug through and found four successive plaster floors under the main one. The plaster even curved up on the last one making a kind of dome. It was very curious, but it being the second to last day, it was decided to cover it all up so no looters would come and leave it for the  next group. Those people are going to have it so easy, im kind of jealous. Our shultun was also abandoned, at least for this session, with not more than the trough found. I spent the day today washing our artifacts and trying to put together some of the sherds I found in my massive ceramic cache. It was like doing a huge jigsaw puzzle but worse. I got about 10 different pieces to fit together after 2 hours, then I quit. Also helped dawn assemble and disassemble the bodies again. The wet bones kind of reeked, but it was fun. We used the sheet from the infirmary to lay out the bones, and it got covered in bone dust. So, word to the wise, don´t get sick while youre here. Tonight we are joining the Mennonites for a soup and pie potluck. I´m all packed up and ready to go, absolutely cannot wait to meet up with jon tomorrow. Im glad im getting to chetumal before him. I will hopefully be able to de-campify myself by the time he arrives. The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment